Capital Expenditure Charges2018-07-09T23:43:43+00:00


Capital Expenditure Charges Bylaw 269

A Capital Expenditure Charge (CEC) is the one-time levy that a homeowner or developer must pay to have water main service provided to a lot or lots before building on it/them. CEC charges are held in a separate bank account/fund from those used for operating expenses.

CECs are for the sole purpose of providing funds to the Improvement District to pay the capital cost of providing, constructing, altering, or expanding water facilities to service directly or indirectly, the development in respect to which the charges are fixed.

Every person who develops land must pay the applicable capital expenditure charge as set out in Schedule “A” attached to and forming part of the bylaw. A copy of Bylaw 269 is available for download as a pdf. A Sunset Drive surcharge of $6,000 is payable for lots on and serviced by the Sunset watermain including and above Parminter Drive.

Capital Expenditure Charges are payable by:

Every person who obtains approval of a subdivision of a parcel of land under the Land Title Act or the Strata Property Act; or,
Approval of an application for service.

Payment is due upon the approval of the subdivision or the approval of the application for service. The charge does not include the meter box or service from the curb to the house.

A capital expenditure charge is not payable where:

The development does not impose new capital cost burdens on the improvement district; or,
A capital expenditure charge has previously been paid for the same development, unless as a result of further development new capital cost burdens will be imposed on the Improvement District.

When lots in an existing subdivision are sub-divided the newly created lots are deemed new lots and become subject to the provisions of Bylaw 269. The original lot is considered as paid. For example: Lot A is divided into 3 lots, A, B and C. CEC charges are payable on Lots B and C.

Please note: Zoning does not equal service availability. For example: Due to changes in water availability and the need to supply current customers, while you may own a lot zoned for a single family dwelling with a secondary suite or cabin, or for multi-family structure(s), per our Water Distribution Regulation Bylaw the District reserves the right to refuse service.


Payments are processed on the day they are received in our office up to 4:00 pm. Payments received after 4:00 pm and after hours and on weekends are processed on the next business day.

We’d also like to remind customers that the day you pay online is not the day the District receives the payment. Online payments may take as long as 5 business days to reach us. Please allow sufficient time for your payment to reach our office before any scheduled penalty date.

The same is true for those of you using regular mail. It can take anywhere from 1-15 days for a cheque to reach the office, depending on where you live.

Customers can pay by Visa or MasterCard over the phone or in person. We also accept debit cards in the office. View our Credit & Debit Card Policy here.

Is the District accepting new applications for service at present?2018-03-23T16:53:29+00:00

The Board of Trustees of North Salt Spring Waterworks hereby advises that due to ongoing drought conditions, and until the weir on St. Mary Lake is raised:

  • All requests for service by current ratepayers serviced from either St. Mary or Maxwell Lakes will be reviewed on a case by case basis.
  • The District will not be accepting any requests for additional service demand from existing customers.
  • The District will not be accepting any new customers into the District.

Any applications submitted during this time will be reviewed and, when applicable, placed on a waiting list.

In 2013, the North Salt Spring Waterworks District commissioned a review and update of the available capacity of Maxwell and St Mary Lakes – the island’s two largest potable water sources. The results of the hydrology studies and water budgets have raised serious concerns about the amount of water available. These scientific reports are now complete and available on this website in the Water section.

We are currently working with other agencies, including the Salt Spring Island Watershed Protection Agency (SSIWPA), the Islands Trust, the CRD, the Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations, and the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure (MoTI), to assess the impact of the findings on our district and community.

These reports will play an integral part in assisting other agencies understanding of our island’s water resources. These studies are of vital importance to the District and the community as a whole.

However, until this multi-agency review and analysis process is completed the District, the St. Mary Lake weir raised, and the impact of the drought is fully understood, the District will not be approving any additional connections or increase in service even for those that have paid capital expenditure charges and are already on the District’s parcel tax roll.


Things to consider before you apply:2018-03-23T16:52:32+00:00

Have you done the groundwork?  If necessary, are your neighbours on board to cost share?

The District does not put in the required water main, the developer does that at their expense.  Even if you are an individual property owner, for the purposes of extending service you are considered to be a developer.  Are you willing to pay the development costs which will include:

  1. Engineering & planning, including permits – VIHA, MoTI
  2. Construction (acceptable to NSSWD standards)
  3. Other associated costs
Our area is not currently part of the North Salt Spring Waterworks District. How can we become part of the District?2018-03-23T16:51:39+00:00

First you must apply to the District to become included.  There are several factors which the District will then assess when considering an application for inclusion in the district, including:

  1. Your location – are you adjacent to an area currently serviced by the District?
  2. What are the challenges and impact on existing infrastructure, if any, to providing you with service?
  3. What are the benefits to the District of including your area in our service, or will adding your service be a burden to our existing system?

Once approved for inclusion in the District, in addition to installing the water main you will be required to pay a CEC for each lot created and the appropriate connection fee to have a meter installed and service activated.

How do you know that the Capital Expenditure Charge has (or hasn’t) been paid on my property?2018-03-23T16:49:59+00:00

We have meticulous records and maps of all lots within our District and know exactly which lots have paid and which have not. Those landowners that have not paid the Capital Expenditure Charge have not paid water parcel tax in the years since their lot was included in the District boundaries.

Current Capital Expenditure Charges:

A copy of our current fee schedule is available for download as a pdf file.

Sunset Drive Surcharge $6,000.00 per lot created


1 Imperial gallon = 4.5 liters
1 cubic meter = 220 Imperial gallons
1 hectare = 2.5 acres
1 kilometer = 0.62 mile